Review of Jersey Care Model Launched
3rd December 2019
The Health and Social Security Scrutiny Panel, chaired by Deputy Mary Le Hegarat, is to review the proposed Jersey Care Model.
The Minister for Health and Social Services is proposing a new model of care in Jersey to be delivered over the next five years. This will shift the delivery of some health and social care services out of the hospital and into the community through GP practices and other agencies, enabling the hospital to focus on specialist and emergency care, intensive care and maternity services. To make these changes the Health and Community Services Department will have to work differently with Jersey's current community providers – GPs and dentists, opticians and pharmacists, community and mental health nurses, care homes and the Island's community and voluntary sector.
The Panel will be writing to identified stakeholders in order to gather evidence that will assist its review. It will also invite submissions from members of the public on some or all of the following key issues:
- Whether the Jersey Care Model is appropriate for the Island.
- How the proposed Jersey Care Model will be delivered and by whom.
- The implications of the Jersey Care Model on the delivery of health services.
- The potential impact of the new care model on patients; in respect of the quality of service provided and any financial implications.
- The effects of the proposals impact on the current and future health sector workforce.
- An understanding of the proposed Jersey Care Model in the context of the future hospital and other health facilities on the Island.
Mary Le Hegarat, Chair of the Panel said:
"The Jersey Care Model is a large topic area covering a range of issues that will radically change how health and social care is delivered in Jersey. We want to understand what the Public, GPs, dentists, pharmacists, opticians, charities and health staff think of the new model and how it will operate in practice. With your help we will scrutinise the model to see whether it provides what the people of Jersey need."
If anybody would like to write to the Panel with a submission it can be sent to the States Greffe via the States Assembly website www.statesassembly.gov.je, by email firstname.lastname@example.org, or by post to Morier House, Halkett Place, St Helier, JE1 1DD.
Back to news