Special Education Needs
Launch date: 26/01/2015
Review status: Report published
What is the review about?
The Minister for Education, Sport and Culture has various policies to assist the department in compliance with the law relating to special educational needs of children. There is a presumption that the service is provided to a very high standard in severe cases. However, there is concern that less serious cases may not receive the attention necessary causing distress for the individuals concerned and disruption for others in their classes.
The Panel has indicated that it wishes to examine the legislation and policies surrounding and supporting the subject and gather evidence to establish if the needs of those needing special care are being met to modern best practice.
Terms of reference
1. To establish, within the remit of the Panel, if the legislation and policies relating to Special Educational Needs in Jersey are considered to meet the requirements of special needs pupils in education in Jersey.
2. To examine the impact that legislation and policies relating to Special Educational Needs in Jersey has within education in Jersey.
3. To obtain evidence from the public and other stakeholders.
4. To hold public hearings with the Minister for Education, Sport and Culture and any other individuals or organisational representatives considered necessary.
5. To report to the States Assembly with the Panel’s findings with any recommendations that arising from the evidence.