Estate Management (2018)
Launch date: 03/09/2018
Review status: Report published
What is the review about?
The Comptroller and Auditor General (C&AG) published a Report on Operational Land and Buildings in June 2018, which concluded that many of the objectives set for Jersey Property holdings since its inception in 2005 had not been secured. The C&AG made 25 recommendations, including:
- establish a comprehensive property strategy;
- establish a corporate group to lead strategic asset management;
- set a timetable for completion of a rolling programme of property reviews.
The PAC is holding a public hearing with the Director-General of Growth, Housing and the Environment, Mr John Rogers and the Director of Property Holdings, Mr Ray Foster on Monday 22nd October at 2pm in the Blampied Room, States Buildings, to explore these areas further. The report is expected to be complete in December 2018.
The review will not extend to property held by Andium Homes, Ports of Jersey and the States of Jersey Development Company (SoJDC). The PAC is aware the C&AG is undertaking a separate review of SoJDC.
Terms of reference
The PAC considered the response to the C&AG's recommendations to be inadequate, and therefore decided to undertake a review in the following areas:
- Overall arrangements (including the organisation, skills and capacity of the States' strategic property function)
- Vision, strategy and organisation (including plans to develop a comprehensive property strategy linked to corporate objectives, maintain deteriorating buildings and considering sales of non-necessary buildings/land)
- Assessing, monitoring and challenging performance (including using a comprehensive asset management system for all States property assets)
Consulting and engaging with stakeholders (including plans to develop a robust process for consultation with community and stakeholder groups as part of all property proposals)