States Annual Report and Accounts 2022
Launch date: 31/07/2023
Review status: Comments published
What is the review about?
Part of PAC's role is to assess whether public funds have been applied for the purpose intended by the States and whether sound financial practices have been maintained. Therefore, the Committee intends to review the processes for the preparation of, and the performance reported in, the States Annual Report and Accounts 2022.
The Annual Report and Accounts contain a breakdown of the activities and initiatives carried out by the different elements of the States of Jersey, including Government Departments, Non-Ministerial Departments, funds and some subsidiary companies.
The Annual Report provides information on how the Government of Jersey has performed over the course of the year in the context of its objectives ('the Performance Report') and on how the States is governed ('the Accountability Report'). It also provides information on the financial performance of the States of Jersey covering both assets and liabilities and income and expenditure.
Rationale for a Review
The States Annual Report and Accounts is effectively the culmination of a Government Plan year and, therefore, reports on the successes or otherwise of the projects and programmes agreed within the financial envelope by the States Assembly for that year. As other Scrutiny Panels conduct reviews of proposals by Ministers within the Government Plan, the PAC ensures that this is retrospectively examined to identify whether or not priorities have been delivered and outcomes achieved. Furthermore, it is important to assess the following matters:
- Whether the performance reporting presents clearly the Government's aims, activities, functions and performance.
- Whether the reported risks and mitigations have been clearly articulated and
- The transparency and timeliness of the overall report
- Whether consideration has been given by the States of Jersey to the recommendations of the External Auditors (Mazars), previous recommendations from the Comptroller and Auditor General and previous recommendations of the PAC.
This is the third set of accounts to be audited by Mazars (as appointed by the Comptroller and Auditor General) and the Committee will be examining whether there has been implementation of any financial practices arising from previous audited accounts undertaken by Mazars.
The Review will seek to address the following key issues:
- The accuracy, transparency and timeliness of the States Annual Report and Accounts 2022, including whether the Performance Report contained therein presents clearly the Government's performance.
- Follow up on previous recommendations made by the External Auditors of the States of Jersey, the C&AG and PAC in respect of the annual report and accounts.
- To assess the reporting of risk and mitigations thereof.
The PAC presented Comments in January 2024
Terms of reference
- To examine the content, reported performance, transparency and timeliness of the States of Jersey Annual Report and Accounts 2022.
To consider whether the Performance Report contained within the Annual Report and Accounts 2022 present clearly the States of Jersey's aims, activities, functions and performance.
To examine the contents of the Accountability Report contained within the Annual Report and Accounts 2022 including reported risks and mitigations as well as remuneration reporting (including termination payments).
- To determine whether the States Annual Reports and Accounts 2022 incorporate the recommendations of the previous PAC Report and recommendations of the External Auditors of the States of Jersey and Comptroller and Auditor General.