Revenue Administration Law
Launch date: 18/12/2018
Review status: Call for evidence
What is the review about?
We are reviewing a new law to update and consolidate Jersey's tax laws. Revenue Jersey will be a new States of Jersey function. It'll combine the current separate Social Security contributions team and the Taxes Office.
The Draft Revenue Administration (Jersey) Law is the first stage in setting up Revenue Jersey. The key proposals in the draft law are:
- Establishment of Revenue Jersey
- Establishment of an appeals process
- Introduction of civil penalties for under-declaration of tax
- Introduction of penalty interest rates for overdue taxes
- Individual responsibility for record keeping to support tax returns
The proposals will be debated by the States Assembly on 29th January 2019.
Terms of reference
- To conduct detailed legislative scrutiny of the Draft Revenue Administration Law to ensure the accuracy and adequacy of the draft law. This will include:
To consider the consequential impact of the draft law on other laws and enactments.To consider the wider impact of the draft law on the way Jersey’s tax and revenue systems operate.
- Examining the appeal process and the appointment of the Commissioners of Appeal.
- Examining the introduction of civil penalties for inaccurate tax returns in some cases.
- Examining the introduction of interest rates for overdue taxes and overpayment taxes.
- Reviewing the Minister for Treasury and Resources’ powers in relation to the setting of interest rates.
- Reviewing the introduction of individual responsibility for record keeping