Public Finances Law Review
Launch date: 21/03/2019
Review status: Comments published
What is the review about?
We published a comments paper summarising our review on 3rd June 2019.
Our work was split into two phases:
- Jan-April 2019 - scrutiny of the policy direction and overarching framework of the draft law
- May 2019 - scrutiny of the detailed articles of the draft law
We lodged a total of 14 amendments to the draft law, split into 4 groups:
Terms of reference
- To conduct detailed legislative scrutiny of the Draft Public Finances Law to ensure the accuracy and adequacy of the draft law. This will include but is not limited to:
- Examining the rationale for the changes proposed in the draft law;
- Examining whether best practice has been followed;
- Examining the proposed changes to the financial planning process e.g. the move from a Medium Financial Plan structure to a Government Plan;
- Reviewing how funding is allocated to major projects (including capital); and
- Examining whether the proposed Law adequately addresses the recommendations of the Comptroller and Auditor General in relation to financial management with the States;
- To consider the proposal to introduce a Public Finances Manual in tandem with the draft law.
- To consider the consequential impact of the draft law on other laws and enactments.
- To examine the potential changes in the accountability of all Accountable Officers
- To consider the wider impact of the draft law on the way Jersey’s Ministers and officers operate.