Teacher Recruitment and Retention
Launch date: 19/09/2019
Review status: Call for evidence
What is the review about?
A review examining the successes and challenges faced by the Island in relation to recruiting and retaining teaching staff.
The Panel recently questioned the Minister for Education about the current vacancy rates in advance of the new academic year and found that 69 teachers had handed their noticed in as of 31 May 2019. Whilst most of these vacancies have now been filled, the Panel has agreed that it would be beneficial to examine the views of the teaching profession and the available data relating to recruitment and retention, to identify the successes and challenges for the Island. Whilst the review is not being carried out in direct response to the recent industrial action, it is hoped that it will help determine whether there are any underlying trends or issues that may have contributed to this.
The Panel have commissioned 4insight to meet confidentially with focus groups during October to collate the views of teaching staff, past and present. It will also be writing to key stakeholders to gather their views.
The focus groups took place during October 2019 and the Panel is due to receive a report of the findings from 4insight. The Panel is due to consider additional evidence to request and will be arranging public hearings in due course.
Terms of reference
1. To examine the recruitment and retention figures for teaching staff over the past 5 years including, but not limited to:
- The number of staff that have left the profession;
- The number of staff that have retired and are due to retire in the next 5 years;
- The number of staff that have been recruited through any recruitment initiatives (i.e. Jersey Teacher Training Programme);
- The number of staff that have engaged in exit interviews.
2. To identify all Government of Jersey policies relating to the recruitment and retention of teaching staff and assess their effectiveness.
3. To gather and examine the views of stakeholders regarding the key challenges faced in recruiting and retaining teachers.