Government Plan 2021 Review - Corporate Services Scrutiny Panel
Launch date: 26/10/2020
Review status: Report published
What is the review about?
The Government Plan replaced the Medium-Term Financial Plan in 2019 and included a definitive plan for the first succeeding financial year (2020). It also detailed income and expenditure forecasts for the subsequent three financial years following Assembly approval. However, following the Covid-19 pandemic outbreak in 2020, and the Government's subsequent response to it, the projected revenue and other financial forecasts were substantially altered during 2020.
Therefore, the second iteration of the Government Plan includes a definitive plan for the first succeeding financial year (2021), comprising a 'recovery plan' and a 'rebalancing' (previously known as 'Efficiencies') programme. It also details income and expenditure forecasts for the subsequent three financial years (2022-2024).
The Panel will review a number of projects and capital projects contained within the plan which come under its remit.
We would like to hear from you, please see our call for evidence to find out more.
Terms of reference
1. To undertake a review of the sections/projects of the Government Plan 2021- 2024, as allocated by the Government Plan Review Panel.
2. To determine whether those projects align with Ongoing Initiatives, Common Themes and, ultimately, Common Strategic Priorities.
3. To consider whether the resources allocated to the projects is sufficient or excessive.
4. To review of the success or otherwise of projects agreed in the previous Government Plan for 2020.
- To examine income raising proposals
- To look at how spending will be funded
- To clarify how States expenditure has materially evolved
- To look at individual departmental budgets and their feasibility based on future spending
- To look at the deliverability of capital projects
- To consider rebalancing and borrowing plans being sufficient or excessive to meet stated aims.
Financial, economic and growth forecasts
- To examine the levels of income against expenditure
- To examine the assumptions made for the economic forecasts
- To look at the impact of the financial and economic forecasts in Government Plan 2021 on the Stabilisation Fund
- To look at the impact of Covid-19 on the 'financial envelope'
Design and implementation of the Government Plan
- To look at reserves; their use, and how they are allocated
- To consider how the treatment of contingencies/reserves, or any other areas of non-routine proposals have evolved in respect of the Government Plan
- To consider the overall fiscal soundness of the Government Plan
 Projects will not directly align with Scrutiny Panels and most will involve multiple ministerial portfolios. Rather than split out projects into elements amongst various Panels, each project will be scrutinised in its entirety by a single Panel.
Call for evidence