The Panel are undertaking a review of the People and Culture strategy, policies and procedures of the public sector specific to:
- Bullying and harassment;
- Exit interview; and
- Disciplinary matters.
The Panel is particularly interested in the following questions:
- What are the current challenges facing Government in relation to tackling bullying and harassment?
- How effective are the current disciplinary procedure and are any changes needed?
- How could the existing employee exit interview policy and procedures be improved?
- How is workplace culture impacted by employment policy and practice?
- Should there be a greater degree of support for employee morale and well-being due to restructuring and, if so, what does this look like?
- Are there any other issues that we should consider as part of the review?
1. To conduct detailed scrutiny of the policies and procedures in place for the States Employment Board as an employer. This will include, but is not limited to consideration of:
a) how bullying and harassment is handled;
b) the effectiveness and impact of the disciplinary procedure;
c) the effectiveness and impact of the employee exit interview process; and
d) how the workplace culture is impacted by the employment policy and practice.
2. To consider the effectiveness of the States Employment Board in implementing employment codes of practice, HR policy, and securing improvements for employee wellbeing. This will include, but is not limited to consideration of:
a) The policy and procedural changes implemented, following the HR Lounge Report into Bullying and Harassment (February 2018).
b) The findings of the HR Lounge Q4 2020 report.
c) The action taken following the recommendations published in the report by the Comptroller and Auditor General, ‘Role and Operation of the States Employment Board’, (March 2019).
3. To consider the culture within the Government of Jersey as a workplace. This will include, but is not limited to consideration of:
a) how the implementation of employment policy affects employee morale and well-being;
b) how restructuring has impacted employee morale and well-being;
c) the turnover of staff employed, particularly in Revenue Jersey; and
d) the wider impact of people management and the policy and procedure relating to employment practice.