States Annual Report and Accounts 2021
Launch date: 07/10/2022
Review status: Report published
What is the review about?
Part of PAC's role is to assess whether public funds have been applied for the purpose intended by the States and whether sound financial practices have been maintained. Therefore, the Committee intends to review the processes for the preparation of, and the performance reported in, the States Annual Report and Accounts 2021.
The Annual Report contains a breakdown of the activities and initiatives carried out by the different elements of the States of Jersey, including government departments, non-ministerial departments, funds and subsidiary companies.
Rationale for a Review
The PAC considers that the public should know how its money is spent by those who are entrusted to spend it, what is achieved through the annual expenditure and how that is controlled. The public deserves accurate, timely and high-quality annual reports and accounts which present clearly the Government of Jersey's aims, activities, functions and performance.
The Executive should conform to the highest standards of practice and provide clear and concise explanations for how funding has been used to achieve objectives.
This is the second set of accounts to be audited by Mazars (as appointed by the Comptroller and Auditor General) and the Committee will be examining whether there has been implementation of any financial practices arising from the first audited accounts undertaken by Mazars.
The Review will seek to address the following key issues:
- The accuracy, transparency and timeliness of the States Annual Report and Accounts 2021, including whether the Performance Report contained therein presents clearly the Government's performance.
- In line with the previous PAC's comments presented in April 2022, the following points will need to be considered:
- The relationship with Arm's-Length Bodies and their reporting within the Annual Report and Accounts
- The timely closing of the accounts
- The implementation and success of self-assessment tools
- Sustainability reporting
- COVID-19 related spend and how it is reported
- The implementation of ITS improvements.
The PAC published its report on Monday 30th January 2023.
The digital summary version of the report can be accessed here.
Terms of reference
1. To examine the content, reported performance, transparency and timeliness of the States Annual Report and Accounts 2021
2. To consider whether the Performance Report contained within the Annual Report and Accounts 2021 present clearly the Government's aims, activities, functions and performance.
3. To examine the contents of the Accountability Report contained within the Annual Report and Accounts 2021 including reported risks and mitigations as well as remuneration reporting (including termination payments).
4. To determine the clarity of the Government's (and its officers) explanations for how funding has been used to achieve objectives.
5. To determine whether the Annual Reports and Accounts incorporate the recommendations of the previous PAC Report and recommendations of the External Auditors of the States of Jersey.