New Healthcare Facilities Programme - Review
Launch date: 16/03/2023
Review status: Review started
What is the review about?
The Future Hospital Review Panel was re-established in November 2022 to scrutinise the most recent developments in the long-running project to develop a new hospital for Jersey.
The ‘Our Hospital Project’ (approved by the previous States Assembly) was effectively halted in December 2022 following approval of the 2023 – 2026 Government Plan which withdrew funding for the single site hospital building on the Overdale site.
The Government has since presented R.154/2022 – A Review of The Our Hospital Project to the States Assembly which sought a phased multi-site approach to providing the facilities the Island needs.
This approach was consolidated by the Government by the presentation to the States Assembly of a second report – R.32/2023 – Approach to Delivering New Healthcare Facilities.
The Panel’s objective is to monitor the progress and governance of the Government’s New Healthcare Facilities Programme.
Terms of reference
- To examine the Government’s progress in developing the project to deliver new healthcare facilities for Jersey, including the functional briefs and feasibility studies for:
- The long-term use of the former Les Quennevais School
- The revision of plans for the Overdale site (including the use of land acquired)
- The use and development of the General Hospital
- Development and purchase of land at Gloucester Street and Kensington Place
- The extension of the scope to other locations
- To monitor the governance of the project to deliver new healthcare facilities and the former Our Hospital Project, including the assembly of a new project team.
- To monitor current and anticipated spending on the project to deliver new healthcare facilities.
- To monitor the continued use of current healthcare locations and any risks to services presented by those locations.
- To monitor Government communication with healthcare professionals, stakeholders and the public to ensure that they are clear, honest and targeted.