Something for everyone during Democracy Week 2023
12th September 2023
Jersey's fourth annual Democracy Week will take place from Monday 25 to Saturday 30 September, and will include a broad range of events and activities designed to inspire and inform Islanders of all ages and stages of political engagement.
The timetable includes:
- Free tours of the States Chamber and Royal Court with Blue Badge Guides. Tuesday 26, 12.30-1.30pm, tickets here, and Thursday 28, 6-8pm, tickets here.
- Pop-up stands in the town centre to facilitate Islanders speaking directly with their elected representatives and opportunities to learn more about Jersey's political system. Monday 25 - Wednesday 27 at Charing Cross, Thursday 28 – Friday 29 at Broad Street.
- 'An Introduction to Jersey Politics' event, which will provide a 30-minute introduction for anyone wishing to learn about how politics works in Jersey with time for questions at the end. Tuesday 26, 5.30-6.30pm at Jersey Library, tickets here.
- 'Politics Matters' breakfast event, designed to encourage conversations around improving political engagement and voter turnout across all sectors of the Island's workforce. Wednesday 27, 8.00-10.00am at The Royal Yacht, tickets here.
- A Democracy-themed guided walk around St Helier with a Blue Badge Guide. Saturday 30, 9.30-11am starting at the Royal Square and ending at Jersey Library, tickets here.
- The launch of a competition inviting primary-school children to 'Design a States Chamber for the Future' with a day-trip to visit Westminster for the winner. Full details here.
- Storytime in the children's section of Jersey Library with readings of 'The Many Hands Club' and other stories by children's author Penny Byrne. Saturday 30, beginning at 10am and 11am at Jersey Library.
- A display in the Royal Square of shortlisted works from the 'My Island' art competition held earlier this year.
- The launch of two video projects, which have been created to demystify important topics such as voting and to shed light on why politics matters to all Islanders.
- A range of school-based activities, from States Members delivering informative workshops to primary school aged students having the opportunity to participate in 'Democracy Days'.
Molly Gladwin, Education Manager at the States Greffe, said: "Democracy Week 2023 really does have something for everyone. We hope that through the range of events and activities we have in store, Jersey residents of all backgrounds, ages, and levels of political awareness will feel excited about getting stuck in and engaging with what Democracy Week has to offer. Our aim is to support everyone in feeling empowered and confident to make their voice heard and have their say in Island politics, at all stages of the electoral cycle."
Back to news